People in Rochdale who want to adopt a child, or have already adopted, can now get extra help with building relationships with their adopted children.
In what is the first partnership of its kind in the North West, Rochdale, Bury and Oldham Councils
have joined with charity After Adoption to offer the SafeBase Parenting Programme to their adoptive parents.
The nationally acclaimed programme is designed to create a strong foundation for loving and lasting relationships within adopted families. Parents are able to access SafeBase training when they
have just taken on a child through to many years after the completing the adoption.
The councils’ £30,000 investment in the programme is being match-funded by the Timpson Foundation and their chairman, businessman John Timpson, who has fostered more than 90 children and adopted two.
Councillor Donna Martin, Cabinet Member for Children, Schools and Families at Rochdale
Borough Council, said: “We are delighted that adoptive families in Rochdale will be able to benefit from the highly specialised support offered by SafeBase. We have invested in this programme over a three-year period, which will provide a longer term resource that complements the extensive support we already provide to our adoptive parents.”
Lynn Charlton, Chief Executive of After Adoption, said: "I am pleased to welcome Rochdale as part of the 39 partners working with After Adoption to deliver SafeBase. We have seen first-hand how the programme gives adoptive parents the confidence to develop their parenting skills and builds resilience to help them parent children with very complex needs.”
Notes to Editor
· SafeBase helps to develop parenting skills and techniques and has a particular focus on providing adopters with a greater understanding of attachment theory and its day to day implications
· The 3-part programme involves an observation of family interaction, a four-day parenting programme and follow-up support with Parent Support Groups including an online community for parents
· One adopter commented: “SafeBase has proved invaluable. I now have a greater understanding
of the issues my children have and am confident in being able to deal with them.”
· Comments from other parents include: “I feel all issues and difficulties now have a solution”, “I think this will really make a difference day to day with our family” and “I feel as though a light has been switched on”.
· One in five adoptions in the UK fail, due to relationships within the adoptive family breaking down. SafeBase has a proven track record in preventing adoption breakdown and encouraging adoption of hard to place children.
· The Timpson Foundation has pledged £1m to support After Adoption’s ambition to make the programme available nationwide by 2016
Rochdale Borough Council - We are a council which builds success and prosperity with our citizens and partners, whilst protecting our vulnerable people.